Friday, January 31, 2014

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake


I love chocolate cake, but chocolate cake loves my waist line and that's just not a match made in heaven.  In an attempt to slim down my recipes I had to come up with a solution to this problem.  This recipe took no time to make and has incredibly less fat.  I took it to a friend's house and they couldn't even tell it there was hardly any fat or that it was missing butter.  For example, applesauce is a great substitute in dense items like cakes and muffins as a replacement for butter or oil, so that's what I used here.  I topped mine with some cream cheese frosting and it was just enough to balance this delicious cake out.

Ingredients:
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  Add in the cold water and stir well.  Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the applesauce and vanilla extract.  When everything is well incorporated, fold in the chocolate chips. Pour mixture into a prepared bundt pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar or frosting of your choice. Enjoy!


This lightened up cake topped with 1/4 cup of my basic cream cheese frosting came out to 5 points plus per serving when cut into 10 pieces.  Now that's a chocolate cake to love!



No comments:

Post a Comment