Monday, January 20, 2014

Aunt Tammy's Mac and Cheese

My Aunt Tammy and I have always had a close relationship.  We laugh so hard when we are together and sometimes we don't have to say anything at all for our thoughts to come across.  I love her, her family and most definitely her cooking.

Growing up, I always remember this Mac and Cheese especially for holidays.  She made it faithfully every Christmas and Easter.  Her recipe is so creamy and thick.  Lucky for my waistline, I don't keep "fattening" versions of things like butter, sour cream, etc. in my house so I was able to recreate her recipe in a "skinny" version, but don't worry, it in NO way compromised the taste.  I paired this side dish with BBQ chicken sliders and felt right at home.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat penne noodles, cooked
1/2 cup light butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cups reduced fat sour cream
tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese (I did not use reduced fat because I don't like the taste)

Place the cooked pasta and 1 cup of the cheese, mixed together, in the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.  Set aside.  Over medium heat melt the butter. Slowly add in the flour and mix until well combined. Add in the milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Add sour cream.  Stir together until a thick sauce is formed and bubbling.  Pour over the noodles and mix everything together, top with remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 until the edges begin to bubble.  Switch to broil and brown well.  Serve immediately.


If cut into 10 servings it is 9 Weight Watchers points plus a serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment