Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cuban Sandwiches

My best friend, Audrey, drove up from Atlanta with me to help with my kids in the car.  We have a sisterly relationship; I've known her for the better half of 16 years and I couldn't imagine not having her around to talk too.

Her family is Cuban so I like to consider these sandwiches authentic!  I grew up eating her mom's sandwiches, listening to salsa music, and having a wonderful time.  When Audrey decided to ride home with me I knew without a doubt that this would have to be our Saturday night meal!  We cooked them up and paired them with some delicious margaritas.  It was nice and quiet after the kids went to bed and we really enjoyed them.

Ingredients:
1 loaf Cuban or French bread
1/2 pound sweet ham
1/4 pound Spanish Pork (this can be hard to track down but should be available by request at the deli)
8 slices smoked provolone (or swiss)
Dill pickle chips
Mayonnaise
Mustard

Slice the sandwich bread in half.  On one side spread the mayonnaise and spread the mustard on the other. On the bottom slice, add the pickles. Top with the Spanish Pork and then the ham.  On the other split the cheese and half and layer across the bread.  Carefully top the sandwich and wrap tight in aluminum foil.  Bake in the oven at 400 for about 15-25 minutes or until the center is hot and the cheese is melted. Remove it from the oven and press down until the sandwich is flat. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment