Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cinnamon Raisin Bread


I have always been extremely intimidated by the idea of making bread.  I would be lying if I said making this loaf was like making a traditional bread.  Actually, making this cinnamon raisin bread was more like baking a banana bread because it was incredibly easy.  Although I did use yeast; I haven't quite made that leap into actual bread making, although it is coming.

This bread was a huge hit with my two year old.  He stole the piece I was eating right out of my hand and ate the entire, oversized, portion!  I topped mine with a little light butter straight out of the oven and it was delicious. We could smell it baking long before it was ready! I definitely plan on making some more for french toast at breakfast or even a nice housewarming gift!

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp active yeast
1 cup warm milk (I used skim)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 large egg
1 cup raisins
1-2 tsp water (if needed)

Start by adding the active yeast into the warm milk, sit aside for a few minutes while the yeast begins to bubble.  Meanwhile, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the middle and add the melted butter and egg straight into the dry ingredients.


Once the milk mixture beings to bubble pour into the bowl and mix everything together. The dough should become very sticky, add water 1 tsp at a time if your mixture is not wet enough. Fold in the raisins and incorporate, top with a towel and leave it to rise for 1 hour.


Once the dough has risen, pour into a prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.  The top should be a nice golden brown.  Enjoy!

 If you're as lucky as me you'll even have a cute baking partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment