Friday, March 7, 2014

Sausage Gravy


Sausage Gravy and Biscuits is certainly a southern tradition. I grew up eating it on Sunday mornings and it remains to be my favorite breakfast meal.  This meal works great for a large family and can easily be doubled and transported for a brunch.  It's creamy, peppery and incredibly delicious served over warm biscuits straight out of the oven.  Now, if only I could get my husband to eat it and enjoy it as much as I do!

Ingredients:
1 pound mild bulk sausage
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 cups milk
salt
pepper

In a large pot, brown the sausage over high heat. Once all browned, add the flour and mix until the sausage absorbs the flour.  Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Turn down to a low simmer, mixing until the gravy as thickened, around 20-30 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over warm biscuits (or fries). Enjoy!


1 comment: