Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Garlic Breadsticks

I've had a huge craving for Olive Garden breadsticks, but I'm not dragging my children out in this cold weather just to satisfy myself. So I thought, why not make them myself? They can't be that hard, right?  I couldn't believe how easy these were to make!  I made mine whole wheat and although they are little more dense, they surely taste fantastic! Topped with a garlic butter, that makes them shiny little pillows, these wonderful breadsticks will make many appearances in the future for my tiny family!


Ingredients:
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cup hot water
1/2 tbsp garlic salt
1/4 cup softened butter (I used light)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white wheat flour

For the topping:
3 tbsp melted butter (I used light)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt


In a stand mixer bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and hot water.  Let the yeast activate for about 10 minutes, or until the top is bubbly.  Add in the garlic salt, butter and 2 cups of the flour.  Beat on low until the mixture starts to combine.  Add in the remaining flour, a half cup at a time, until the dough pulls easily from the sides.  Beat on high for 5-10 minutes until the dough is pliable. Set on the counter and cover with a towel to allow the dough to double in size (it took mine about an hour). Preheat the oven to 175.



Once the dough has risen, roll it out on a floured surface until you create a long log.  Cut with a sharp  knife into 2 inch pieces and roll into short logs.  Place on a prepared baking sheet.  Once all your breadsticks are formed, stick them into the preheated oven to proof for 15 minutes. Turn the oven up to 400 and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.  While still hot, brush with the melted butter mixture and serve warm.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment