Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches


I wouldn't dare call these oatmeal creme pies because they taste nothing like those little pre-packaged goodies you get at the grocery store. I love those cookies. I grew eating them at my grandma's and they bring me so many wonderful memories. These days, though, I don't buy stuff like that. Sure I get my kids goldfish and pop-tarts but for the most part we avoid spending our money on snack foods. Adam loves oatmeal cookies and I was really craving a gooey filled cookie so these were by far the best alternative. I baked half plain and half with raisins so we all get our favorites!

The filling is a marshmallow like "frosting". It's sticky and fluffy and fat free! I use this stuff frequently because it's so easy to make! You add the package of dry mix to bowl and whip it for a few minutes with boiling water. I even blogged about it when we made fruit pizza. I've heard that it has been difficult to find, but most groceries store will allow you to request special products. I promise this is a must!


Ingredients:
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup dry oatmeal (quick cooking)
7 tbsp of butter, room temp.
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

For the filling I used 3/4 cup dry frosting mix and 1/4 cup boiling water, whip it well.


In the bowl of your mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Add in egg and vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Once the liquids are well incorporated add in the flour. Fold in the oatmeal 1/4 cup at a time while a thick mixture forms. Bake the cookies at 350 for 12-14 minutes.


Once they are cooled, flip them over and smash down to flatten the cookie slightly. Place 1 tbsp of the whipped filling on the bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment