Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies



I originally saw this recipe on Skinnytaste.com and they are incredible! As a devoted Weight Watchers follower I'm always looking for tasty desserts that I can "indulge" in. I'm generally not a fan of meringue, but since these have a well defined chocolate taste I was really able to enjoy them (a lot of them). Now, let's talk technique for a minute. I believe most people know that making meringue anything can be difficult. My first batch of these deflated after baking. I realized it was because of two things. One, I whipped them too fast which created a lot of air bubbles. Two, I used egg whites directly from the fridge. Let them sit on the counter and come to room temperature before you whip them. These are so low in calories that you can eat more than a few especially because they are only 1 point plus a piece!


Ingredients:
(Adapted from Skinnytaste)

1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


In a stand mixer, whip together the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff white peaks form. Gradually add in the sugar, whipping until stiff peaks form again. Do the same with the vanilla, sugar and cocoa powders. Fold in the chocolate chips. Drop 1 tbsp sized meringues on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for about 30 minutes, then turn off the oven and allow the meringues to dry out for another 30 minutes. Cool completely before removing them from the baking sheets. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment