Thursday, January 1, 2015

Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken and Rice


Its safe to say that we are not traditionalist. I am from the great state of South Carolina and, well, just about everyone I know indulged themselves with hoppin' johns and collard greens today. I'm sure if we were spending the day with my mother, we would have had the same, but that's not the case. I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few days ago. It was cheesy and jumping off the page screaming "EAT ME, EAT ME". After some tweaking I was able to make a delicious, satisfying, quick and easy meal. Haley devoured it, so I believe this one will be a keeper. I loved everything about it being a one pot wonder too! I certainly take every opportunity to reduce the amount of dishes to be washed (although, that's not usually my chore)!

Ingredients:
(Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything)

2 tbsp cooking oil (I used vegetable)
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 pound chicken tenderloins, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup brown "minute" rice
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
2 3/4 cup frozen chopped broccoli
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

In a deep skillet (make sure it has a lid), add the oil and onion. Sauté until the onion softens and becomes translucent.


Add the chicken. Once the chicken is browned, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.


Mix in the dry brown rice and pour over the chicken broth, bring to a boil. After you've reached a boil, turn down to a simmer and cover. Once the brown rice has absorbed most of the liquid, add the broccoli, and return the cover for about 5 minutes.


Drain the excess liquid and stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and return the lid, trapping the heat for the cheese to melt. It's ready when the cheese is all melted! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment