Monday, June 16, 2014

Homemade Alfredo


Alfredo is, hands down, my very favorite pasta sauce.  Creamy and cheesy with a slight saltiness, I find it to be incredibly delicious.  I usually just buy a jar sauce and cook it up with some diced chicken and call it a meal.  I've realized now that there simply isn't any justice to this sauce when it comes out of a jar.  I was pretty nervous about making my own. The problem with a cheese sauce of any kind is the risk of the oil portion separating from the cream portion.  When I made this alfredo I was busy making all the other dishes, but stirring this well every couple of minutes helped it stay nice and thick.

We enjoyed this sauce over some whole wheat linguini noodles and topped with grilled chicken breast that I seasoned with Italian seasonings.  On the side, we added some salad and had fruit pizza for dessert! It was delicious and I will make this again and again.  Goodbye store bought sauce, your preservatives aren't welcome here anymore. 


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup grated parmesan cheese 
2 tbsp light cream cheese 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper 

In a saucepan, melt the butter.  Once it's bubbly, add in the garlic and sauté for a few minutes.  Pour in the heavy cream.  You want the cream to bubble but not boil, add in the cream cheese and stir until it's melted into the sauce.  Add in the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment