Saturday, December 27, 2014

Pick-Me-Up in a Pot

Two things that we go through like crazy are apples and oranges! Owen can always be caught with an apple in his hand, usually straight from the fridge without us even knowing! As a family we love citrus fruits! I felt like there was more we could do with all these leftover rinds and cores, especially since they aren't safe for Charlie to eat.

I filled a medium sized pot with water. I added the rind of a few cuties (it's all I had at the time), a cored apple (the rest had been eaten), two-three drops of vanilla, a few dashes of cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg. I brought the whole pot to a simmer and left it for a few hours. When the water would get low I would simply add more! The smell was so inviting, yet subtle enough that we weren't left with a headache. This is my new go to for a pick me up. The added bonus is some moisture in the air for these dry winter days!

No comments:

Post a Comment