Monday, May 12, 2014

Sautéed Yellow Squash

Comfort food is just that, comforting, and it brings back memories of a time when you were happiest. I believe that people who love to cook often love it because of their upbringing.  When you are surrounded by good food that is made under good conditions, you crave it more.  Now, I don't mean that your house was clean and the dishes weren't worn; I mean by someone who made cooking inviting and made meals an interactive event with conversation and laughter. Both of my parents are amazing cooks, and I can assure you that their mothers' were amazing cooks as well.


I grew up eating this yellow squash.  It's warm, buttery and the perfect accompany to pork. The first time I made this for Adam, I wasn't sure it would go over well.  This is very much a southern style side dish and well... let's just say he's not exactly southern. It makes me laugh thinking back on the first time I served him butter bread, (bread slathered with butter, most southerners eat bread of some kind with dinner) and he looked at me very seriously and said "did you forget to toast this?".  I will never forget that day and I am almost positive it was the first and only time we had butter bread with a meal. But, he loves this dish!  He asks for it often, and since it was one of my favorites from growing up, I'm more than happy to serve it.



You simply wash a few pounds of yellow squash and slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices.  Add it to a greased pan and generously salt and pepper.  Throw a lid on it and let the squash steam.  Let it cook down until most of the water has cooked off.  Finish it off with butter, and don't be shy with it!  I use 3-4 tbsp for a two person serving.  Once the butter is melted down and absorbed it's ready to serve! We usually have ours with some sort of ham or pork tenderloin! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment