Tuesday, March 10, 2015

PB & J Oatmeal Bars


Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are literally a staple in our home. Owen only eats, maybe, 10 things and a pb&j comes in around number 3 on his list. I've been making jelly filled oatmeal bars for years. One, because I love Nutri-grain bars and these are pretty close to them. Two, because I love all things oatmeal. And three, because these may go down as the world's easiest grab and go treats to make! However, I've never thought to add peanut butter until now and I can honestly say we won't be going backwards!


The beauty of these sweet treats is they are perfect on the run. I vacuumed sealed them with my Food Saver beautifully so they will be shelf stable for a while. (This was only after the kids and I consumed more than "a few".)  These are perfect for a brunch get together, or wrapped up and delivered to the neighbors!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter (only slightly softened)
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
dash of salt
1 cup strawberry preserves (you may need up to 1/2 cup more)


With a mixer, cream together the peanut butter and butter. Add in the flour, oats and salt and mix with a higher setting to combine everything evenly (I had to scrape down the sides of my bowl once or twice). Mix in the brown sugar. In the bottom of a 13x9 inch prepared baking dish, press down half the oatmeal mixture until firmly packed. Top with the jelly and spread into an even layer. It does help if the jelly is room temperature! Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture and again firmly pack it down. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Let them cool completely to firm up before cutting! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment