Monday, September 15, 2014

Pretzel Bites


I love to take the kids to the mall, grab some pretzel bites and let them play on the indoor playground. Its like a little "me" time among the chaos. They are one of my favorite treats. I really wanted some today, but I surely wasn't making the forty-five minute drive to the mall. When I started looking up recipes I instantly became intimidated. I wasn't sure I was up for such a challenging recipe on a Monday afternoon. Let me assure you that once you the dough has risen and you have your station set up, it takes less than a half an hour to get these in the oven. They were soft and chewy with a little bite on the outside. Boiling them in baking soda helps to give them a nice fluff and beautiful color. I made simple salt covered ones and a batch of cinnamon sugar. The cinnamon sugar I served with a side of sweet glaze, and they were the perfect dessert after our cheesesteaks.



Ingredients:
(Adapted from Smells Like Home)

1 packet dry active yeast
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
4 cups all purpose flour (I used white whole wheat)

You'll also need olive oil, 2/3 cup baking soda, sea salt, melted butter and cinnamon sugar (I used a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar to 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon). For the glaze I used powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract.

In the bottom of your stand mixer combine the warm water, active yeast and sugar. Let sit until the yeast proofs and begins to foam. Add in the salt, melted butter and flour. With the dough hook knead dough until it's smooth and pulled completely from the sides. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with tin foil and set to the side for it to rise one hour.

Once the dough rises set up your station. You'll need two baking sheets lined with parchment paper, a large pot of boiling water with 2/3 cup baking soda, an oiled surface, and melted butter. Preheat your oven to 450.

Start by pulling off a large ball of the dough. Roll it into a log on the oiled surface. Cut of 1 inch pieces. Cover them with a moist paper towel while you do the remaining logs. Drop 10 bites into the boiling baking soda water and allow them to float to the top, stirring around for about 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon remove them from the water and place on the lined baking sheets. Once you get all the pretzels on the sheets, coat them with the melted butter. If making salted pretzel bites, sprinkle them with salt. Place them in the oven to bake for about 12 minutes. They will turn a deep golden brown.

Brush them once more with melted butter. If you're making cinnamon sugar bites, throw them in the bowl of cinnamon sugar after you butter them out of the oven. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment